Pregnancy and preparing to bring a new being into the world is a unique and life changing experience. From conception to childbirth and into motherhood a woman’s body has a remarkable capacity to adapt. Some of the aches and pains which can accompany pregnancy need not be suffered without help and can be effectively eased with gentle osteopathic treatment and advice.
Although pregnancy is a natural process, the hormonal, emotional and physical changes involved occur over a relatively short time. Our capacity to accommodate these without pain and other symptoms can be compromised especially if there has been past trauma or injury, unresolved strain from previous childbirth or if there are extra demands on the body such as lifting small children or stressful life events.
In treatment I will offer gentle osteopathic techniques such as articulation, soft tissue work to muscles, manipulation, cranial osteopathy and ligamentous release. Treatments will focus on:
- Helping you to more comfortably accommodate postural changes and the effects of softened ligaments due to pregnancy hormones
- Establishing and resolving underlying musculoskeletal issues
- Helping to create space for the growing baby
- Balancing your pelvis in preparation for giving birth
- Postural advice to minimise discomfort and to encourage optimal foetal positioning
- Supporting your recovery after childbirth by checking for and restoring balance and alignment in your pelvis and spine
The aim of osteopathic treatment is to support the innate powers of self-healing. These forces of health and regeneration are especially potent during pregnancy. Often this means that women respond well with a need for only a few well placed treatments. This may depend on the other demands upon you. If you are pain free but would like to be reassured that you are well aligned and your body is coping well I also offer specific one-off anti-natal and postnatal osteopathic checkups.
Cost and booking information
Adult initial consultation and treatment £50 (Allow 1 hour)
Adult follow up treatment or new complaint £45 (40 mins)
Children and babies initial consultation and treatment £40
Children and babies follow up treatment or new complaint £38
Mother and baby check
Initial consultation and treatments £75
Follow up treatments £70
TO BOOK: Please contact our Resident Osteopath Esther Barton on 07891 079527