For fertility, pregnancy and childbirth acupuncture offers safe, effective treatments that have been tried and tested over many years, and there is a substantial evidence base to support its use in this field. Acupuncturists who do this kind of work maintain high standards by participating in networks of different kinds throughout the UK, undertaking specific training, and meeting to share experiences and good practice.
- Fertility treatments can support either natural conception or assisted fertility procedures. The approach will be tailored to your process. Current trends in assisted fertility offer a number of procedures to the hopeful parent, each being technically quite distinct from the next; acupuncture offers excellent protocols that support each specific stage of the process, whilst easing the side effects, thereby increasing your chances of success.
- Acupuncture offers safe and effective treatments for many conditions which are common during pregnancy, such as nausea and sickness, joint pain and low energy, to name a few.
- After 36 weeks it is really helpful to have a series of pre-birth treatments to keep your energy and spirits lifted in the last weeks and to help the body prepare for the adventure of birthing – there is evidence to suggest that pre-birth treatments and acupuncture during labour can each reduce the likelihood of having a drawn out labour.
- Induction treatments are appropriate from 40 weeks. It is wise to book two sessions a day or so apart, and you may not need the second one. Eleanor can mark up the induction points and show a partner how to use pressure to manipulate them; these points can be useful during labour as well.
- During childbirth, acupuncture is wonderful. Having an experienced birthing assistant on hand during labour is a beautiful thing, and with an acupuncturist attending there are many ways in which you can be supported at different points along the way. The acupuncture will offer natural pain management as a baseline, along with natural solutions to some of the situations that can hinder the progression of labour. Equally, your acupuncturist will know when to step back and give you some space.
- After the birth, it is so important to look after the new mother, as she is so busy looking after the baby and recuperating at the same time. Acupuncture can aid recovery, help with blocks to breastfeeding, ease tension and lift the spirits of tired mummas.
Acupuncture treatment feels nice, offering an all-round physical and emotional tonic. You will feel an effect immediately: acupuncture begins right away to balance the energy, calming where there is restlessness or anxiety, envigorating where there is heaviness or a feeling of obstruction, and bringing grounded clarity to the consciousness.
Cost and booking information
To book: Please contact our Resident Acupuncturist Eleanor Day
£45 1 hour session
£75 Double session
£240 block of 6 sessions
£144 block of 4 pre-births
£600 full labour assistance
£260 2 x 2 labour assistance